Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chemo Update

There's not much new to report since the same thing happens every other week (one week I'm tired & must avoid all coldness at all cost, the next week I'm not tired but I still can't handle or drink cold stuff). But I do have some small new tidbits of information to pass along. I did get clarification on how long I'll have to do this. I will have a total of 12 cycles and have done 4 already, so I have 8 more to do. I guess if I can do 4 then I can do 4 more, then 4 more. Also, if I stay on schedule then my last cycle will be August 25th.

The second tidbit is that I've successfully found stuff I can drink. I have to stay away from all ice-cold beverages, naturally. But I was also having trouble drinking regular water at room temperature. But I discovered that I can drink ginger ale at room temp and it doesn't hurt. Then one day after drinking three or so cans and getting tired of the sweetness I thought that maybe what's allowing me to drink it was the carbonation. So, I tried sparkling water and was pleased to find out that I could drink that too! So, there's something about the bubbles that keep the liquid from hurting the nerve endings in my throat. So, now I've added a couple more carbonated beverages to my list of things to drink. The trick is finding ones that taste good at room temp.

That's pretty much all I can say that I haven't said before. Other than that, every other week is a repeat of the previous 2-week cycle. Boooring...