Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rotisserie Chicken and Garden Boxes

Something came over me this week and I decided that I really wanted to try out the rotisserie function of our grill. So, first I set out to get a chicken. Off to Whole Foods... They have 4 different kinds of whole chickens! There's their organic free range chicken, some other pre-packaged organic free range chicken, a "junior" chicken (which had a small notice that the chicken may contain up to 8% retained water from processing. Instant disqualifier for me.) And then there was their new "Air Chilled" chicken. Somehow it's processed in chilled air rather than water which is supposed to help the meat retain its natural juices. A Whole Foods exclusive. I decided to try it.

So, I brought it home, seasoned it, shoved carrots, celery, and onion up its cavity, put pats of butter under its skin, and trussed it. Then figured out how to put it on the spit. Luckily Dave had just arrived home because it was easier to truss it, thread it on the spit, and put the "forks" in place using an extra pair of hands.

How did it taste? Actually, it was wonderful! Full of flavor, very juicy. Here's a photo just before I took it off the grill: By the way, I absolutely LOVE the flat-top part of the grill, on the left. It's so handy for vegetables.

While I was out there with the camera I decided to take photos of my garden boxes to share with the world! This first one is the herb garden. It contains basil, sage, parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, chives. I think that's it.
The next two photos are of the tomato garden (very nice, sweet cherry tomatoes) and Roma tomatoes. The second photo is of the yellow crook-neck squash and the jalapeno plant. Looks like I'll still have jalapenos while the rest of you won't!