Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Is Theo Really So Not-Smart? (I can't use the "D" word for my baby)

Our dog is wonderful. But I gotta tell you: He's not really the smartest one of them all. And he just might qualify for laziest. Right now he's like a teenager. He sleeps in sooo late. Usually dogs are up with their masters, right? Probably because they want food. Well, it's now 12:45 in the afternoon. 15 minutes ago Theo was still upstairs sleeping, though he relocated since I got up. I made him get up to come down for his "breakfast" (at noon!) and to go outside to do his business because in the next hour or so his groomer is going to show up to bathe him. I figured he should eat and eliminate before then. So, I told him to come downstairs, which he did. Luckily he did eat. (Sometimes he walks away from his breakfast.) After he finished he started to head back to one of his "sleeping spots" but I said to him: "No - You need to go outside and go pee-pee." This is where he actually seems smart. With this one command (sometimes it's even a suggestion) he will run out through his dog door, go to the far corner of the yard, and do his business. This time it was double duty. The point is this: He was preparing to go back to bed until I told him to go do his thing outside, even though he clearly had a couple of matters to attend to outside.

He does this every morning. Most mornings I don't bother to make him get up and get moving. Eventually he'll get up and go outside. Last week one day he didn't get up and come downstairs (so he never went outside...) until David got home from work. Astonishing!

Right now he is napping. Little does he know that soon he will be awake for a whole 2 hours when the groomer arrives!