Friday, October 3, 2008

PET Scan Results

Just an update: On Monday Sept 22nd I had a PET/CT scan done and the bottom line is that "There is no PET-CT evidence of residual or recurrent tumor." Apparently I have some "mildly hypermetabolic subpleural nodular densities" in my lungs which are "likely related to either focal atelectasis versus infectious/inflammatory process." What this means is that I have some small areas of collapsed lung that is usually of no major consequence, I guess caused by the chemo. That's no big deal, really. (Added 10/6/08: We spoke with the oncologist today and she is indicating that the "focal atelectasis" could be caused by the way my lungs were sitting or resting during the PET scan. They did not tell me to take a deep breath or anything. As a matter of fact I was probably asleep when the 45-minute scan reached that area. So it may not be collapsed lung after all. So, it could be less than nothing. I'll have a follow-up CT scan in a couple of months. They make you take a breath and fill your lungs for that one.) Other than that and some inflammation from the surgical scar tissue the findings were unremarkable. Which is the way we like them!

The neuropathy is still troubling my hands and feet. As this is exacerbated by cold, I will continue to be on medical leave from work until at least the first of the year. I am still unable to handle cold items at length so handling cold and frozen blood products all day (as I would have to do in my job) would be a problem. I will put off going to work until the neuropathy subsides. Which hopefully it will.

My oncologist wanted me to keep the mediport for a year. Is she kidding me? I SOOOO cannot wait to have it removed. It's scheduled to come out next week, October 9th.

On a different note, Dave and I are headed to Paso Robles for the weekend. We are going wine tasting with some friends. Before we head back on Sunday we will stop by Hearst Castle. Though we've all been there before (I think) we are looking forward to seeing more of this magnificent place.

I have been having fun re-connecting with old high school classmates on Facebook. If any of you drop in here, I'd like to give you a giant wave and an enthusiastic "Hello and Welcome"!!!