On to other news, we finally got a break in the rain and tilled the fava under. First David used a lawn mower to chop up the fava. Here's what it looked like right after that:
Monday, February 23, 2009
PICC Line and Garden Update
First of all, Theo would like to extend his greetings!
OK, so last week I had my PICC line installed. PICC stands for "peripherally inserted central catheter". A catheter is inserted into a large vein deep in my arm and the 44 cm length of it is threaded up into an even bigger vein and ends just above my heart. As long as we maintain it well it should serve me well. The biggest problem with these is infection. Here's how it looks:
Generally it's kept covered up in some fashion. The company that is sending me supplies has sent me a few of these white sleeves which are very breathable. Before we got these sleeves we were using cohesive bandages. No matter what I use it isn't really that visible under the covering and to the public eye it looks like perhaps I hurt my arm and am wearing a bandage.
I started my new chemotherapy today. I am getting CPT-11 (Camptosar) and 5-FU. In a few weeks Avastin will be added. Avastin interferes with healing and it's too soon after my liver resection to start that.