Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Mediport

OK, so now maybe I'll take a few minutes and get this blog up to speed. Last Sunday David and I returned from our vacation to the Caribbean. Soon I'll upload some photos from our trip. We left on Friday, April 3rd for San Juan, Puerto Rico. From there we journeyed to Bridgetown, Barbados aboard the Silver Cloud, part of the Silver Sea cruise line. When the cruise was over we spent two nights in Barbados and then two nights in South Beach, Miami. Sunday April 19th we finally returned home. After two weeks away, it was nice to be home!

Before our trip I had my 3rd chemo treatment and then had my PICC line removed. I couldn't very well go to the Caribbean with tubes hanging out of my arm! I also worked frantically in the garden, getting everything planted that needed to be planted as well as setting up the irrigation so that they would get watered automatically via a timer. All that work caused me to strain the newly healed muscles in my abdomen so I spent the cruise worried about the painful spots but after taking it easy since then I'm happy to report that the discomfort is gone. I still have some garden to set up but I will wrangle David into doing anything that requires any straining.

A couple of days ago I had another mediport put into my chest. This will be used for the remaining chemotherapy infusions instead of the PICC line. This time I consulted with a surgeon (who is known for installing pediatric ports in his patients) to ensure that I didn't get some huge device implanted like before. I am pleased to report that this one is so much less noticeable than the first one. So, I start chemo again next week with my brand new port. Yay? Don't know if I should rejoice or not.

OK, back to the trip: Usually David writes up a trip report, sprinkled with his brand of humor. Hopefully he will find time to write this one as well. If he does so I will post it here for all to see. David has found himself to be very busy since we returned because he got some surprising news the evening of our return: Most of the people in his work division had been laid off and those remaining have been "reorganized". Luckily he didn't get laid off but now he has a new boss and is trying to figure out what his new role is. This week has been interesting but eventually things will settle out. I'm just glad that he still has a job. Right now's not the time to be job-searching since so many people have been laid off in his industry lately.

Me? I am lucky that the health care field is growing. When I'm ready to go back to work (after chemo, I suppose) my job will still be waiting for me, I'm told. I do have a great boss and wonderful peers.