Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chemo 2.3 Report

Well, last cycle (2.2) was very rough. I wasn't nauseated, per say, but I was throwing up. Plus I was so fatigued. Yet couldn't sleep. And since I was so lethargic it was hard to keep fluids going in. So I got dehydrated. Which made things worse.

This time around we changed things up a bit. I took a very powerful anti-nausea drug (Emend) before my chemo infusion. Plus they added Aloxi to my drip (another anti-nausea). Then the CPT-11 dripped in slowly along with the Leukovorin. After that was finished a new chemo drug was added: Avastin. Then when that was completed they hooked up the 5-FU which is the one I go home with for 46 hours. I will go have it removed this afternoon. Anyway, so I came home Monday and was very fatigued as usual. I went upstairs to rest and tried to watch TV, but could only do so through one eye. And even that eye was half open! I was drinking water as much as I could then I asked Dave to go get me a Jamba Juice. This really helped to give me some nutrition and fluids. I did drink most of it. At bedtime I took an Ativan which is supposed to help me sleep. My nose was running (and I suspected the drainage might be upsetting my stomach) so I took a Benadryl also. I slept so well! I woke up Tuesday morning feeling pretty good and even had enough energy to accompany David on some errands. Yesterday I drank two Jamba juices and today I will do more of the same. Also last night I took the Ativan and the Benadryl again and slept like a rock. This is really helping. Before all I could do is lie in bed and grunt answers at David and now I can actually get up and move about the house. I don't feel up to doing work in the garden but I'm happy with its progress so far.

So, hopefully we have found a winning combination and will stick with it as needed.