Thursday, May 21, 2009

How Chemo Affects My Energy

Well, for those of you who are wondering how I'm doing, let's just say that I'm very busy right now. When I have chemo (as a reminder it's every other week) I have absolutely no energy and I feel as if I will never have energy again. I don't want to do anything. I don't want to chat online. I especially don't want to talk to anyone in person or on the phone. Carrying on a conversation of any kind makes me so tired. Just putting together coherent sentences drains me. So, I hide under a rock. That's why those of you who tell me I look great or I am so strong only see that part of me. I don't really let anyone see the other part. Not because I want to spare you. Not at all. I want to spare myself the energy drain. I usually won't even answer the phone. Sometimes I can send out a couple of cell phone texts but that's usually the extent of my abilities.

So, this goes on for about a week. My chemotherapy sessions are usually always on Mondays and by the weekend I am feeling like perhaps I can got out for short excursions, but then return home to nap. Usually I don't feel like my normal self until the following Tuesday. Then I start running in circles, cramming everything into the few days that I have.

My next chemo is on Tuesday the 26th. I get an extra day this week because of Memorial Day. That's great, until I remember that I will get one less day the next cycle, assuming I return to Mondays. I like Mondays for my treatments because it's possible for me to be somewhat social by Saturday if I get enough rest.

I have 7 cycles remaining. Then the MD will order an MRI every 3 months to keep an eye on things. I really want this to be over.

I'll try to update this more often. I may start to repeat myself but I understand you would probably like an update anyway. I appreciate that you check in here to see how things are going.

Next blog post: Updated garden pics!