Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cleaning the House

When I met David he had housekeepers who came into his house every two weeks (at that time) to clean it. When I joined him and we got Theo we changed that to every week. And until a few weeks ago we continued to have someone come clean the house. Our latest housekeeper was Lupe. And she did a fabulous job and never complained. While I was working or going through chemo it made sense to keep her on. But I haven't gone back to work yet and haven't been on treatments since August so I decided to try to clean the house myself. This saves us $95.00 per week. That's a good amount of pocket change.

So far so good. For several weeks now I've been doing the dusting, mopping, wiping, scrubbing. I generally set aside a day for it so it just gets done and I can dedicate the rest of the week to everything else. I think I'm doing a pretty good job. Before I met David I always cleaned my own place. Granted they were much smaller but a bathroom is a bathroom... a floor is a floor... it's all the same. Just more of them. So, I take longer. But it's really no big deal. Now I don't have to do the mad rush every Wednesday night to de-clutter the house for Lupe. I know where everything is at every moment. (I don't like for things to get moved.) Overall I don't mind cleaning my own house. If I return to work or if I return to treatments then we will see if Lupe's still available (I hope she is - she did a great job) but for now I'll keep doing it myself. In a way, I'm bonding with my house.