Monday, May 3, 2010

The Garden Today

Well we have had a rainy season. And I have to take time for my knitting boot camp. I'm not kidding about that. Anyway, I haven't finished sifting all the soil but I'm still working on it. I should be finished shortly so that I can get the other 2 boxes filled and planted.

So, here's the latest on my little garden space. Today I finished putting in the drip lines for the boxes that are up and running. I think the rain has stopped completely until November or so... so I had to get the water in because the hot weather is just around the corner.

Here's an overview of the garden today. I tried to take the best picture I could:
In this photo you can see my 2 baby blueberry plants.
This next photo is of my 2 "stone" boxes. The first one has two kinds of carrots. The 2nd one has lacinato kale (just about ready to use), celery (looking good!) and a nasturtum. The lettuce is done. If I can find a shady spot then I can start some more.
This photo is of my first raised wooden box. It has tomatoes, basil, a parsley plant (I also have a separate herb bed outside the garden), some French marigolds, some borage volunteers. Also there's a small beet patch on the far end. I also added a row of carrots in between each tomato plant. They are just now coming up.I won't be leaving all of those solar lights in the box. I put them in there to keep some plastic sheeting off of the lower plants. It got cold here for a couple of nights last week. Each box will have 4 of the lights for a nice effect.

I just got some 8-manifold bubbler heads today. I really like them because each outlet has an individual control valve. You can shut any one of them off or adjust any of them individually from 0-30 GPH. Very nice.

So, now I either have to go sift some soil or do some knitting homework.