Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dr. Appt Follow-Up

I went to see my oncologist today. I already kind of knew what the results were. Officially here is how it reads:

1. There is a new 1.9 cm FDG avid left retroperitoneal mass consistent with metastatic adenopathy. This appears to obstruct the left mid ureter resulting in moderate left hydroureter and left hydronephrosis.

[This means there's a mass in a lymph node that's pressing on a ureter. It's causing the kidney to become inflamed. I've been experiencing lower left back pain for a while now, and this is on my left side. So I'm wondering if this is what's hurting and not my back.]


2. Postoperative left hepatic lobe without evidence for residual or recurrent disease. No evidence for recurrent disease near the sigmoid anastomotic site.

[This means there's nothing suspicious on my liver or my colon.]

And here's the PET scan image:

Do you see that really bright spot in the lower left image? That's the new mass. (By the way, if you click on the image a larger version should pop up.)

Dr. Chen said that she is referring me to the specialist at Stanford and my case will be presented to the GI Tumor Board. We go up there on Wednesday (a week from tomorrow) to meet with them and find out how they suggest we deal with this. It's possible that they may treat it with radiation or a new technology called "Cyberknife". Also she said I'll need to do a short round of chemo. Maybe 6 rounds instead of 12.

We also have an appointment with another oncologist to get a another opinion. We will see him next week as well. I feel like right now I need to at least look into and consider more options. I like Dr. Chen and I know that she is doing all that she can for me. But there is more to this battle than just the oncologist. I'd rather do chemo someplace else if possible, if everything else is all the same.

After we meet with the oncologist and the tumor board next week then we'll know more.