Last Thursday I decided to add a lot of compost to the garden area to enrich the soil so I used an online calculator to help me decide how many cubic yards to get. I ended up ordering 7 cubic yards for the garden which was actually a pretty thick layer (the other 2 yards of material were for the planter boxes. That's another story!) Saturday morning we hired two guys to help haul it all back to the garden area and spread it out. David then rented a large tiller to incorporate the compost into the ground. We do own a small electric one but that one would have taken all day and it wouldn't have tilled nearly deep enough. This large gas one only took 2 hours and dug in much deeper. So anyway, here's a pic of David tilling the compost in:
The area at the bottom of the photo is never going to be planted as it's the pathway from the gate to the composting area so we didn't bother adding compost there.
It took several passes with the tiller but hopefully it got mixed in well enough. This week I will plant the fava cover crop and cross my fingers. :-)