Well, the garden is progressing. It's a lot of work converting the vineyard to a garden so it's not going very fast but is almost there. Today irrigation valves were installed and hooked up to the timer. There are 3 valves total so I can have three different areas that can water independently from others with different watering needs. (For instance, if we do melons they will need a LOT more water than tomatoes.) Tomorrow 9 yards of compost material will be delivered here and dumped in the street in front of our house. Saturday morning two guys will show up with wheelbarrows and shovels and start hauling it back to the garden. I was told it will take 4 hours for 2 guys to haul this stuff back there. How big of a mountain will we have in front of the house??? Anyway, they will take it to the garden and spread it out. David will then take out our handy dandy electric tiller and start tilling it all in. Boy, will he be tired at the end of the day! I will then let it sit for a couple of days and hopefully get the fava planted mid-week. This will serve as a cover crop to add nutrients into the ground as we will till it under in the spring. Then the real gardening will begin!
Anyway, that's the plan. I'll let you know if anything goes astray. By the way, did I mention that the garden total area is just over 1100 square feet? (I re-measured today. The 1200 square feet mentioned in the previous post was taken off of the landscaping plans.) There's an area that we won't plant (the composting area) so we will have roughly 1000 square feet available for the garden.