Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Who's a Foodie!

Recently a friend of mine remarked that the girl that he is dating considers herself to be a “foodie” but is not really. Which made me wonder: I never considered myself a foodie, but am I one? Hmmm… This led me to look up the meaning of the term “foodie”. According to Wikipedia, foodies are amateurs “who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news.”

Here are some signs you are a foodie:
  • Activities and interests include the food industry. Check
  • ...wineries and wine tasting. Check
  • ...food science. Check
  • Enjoy watching specialized shows about food such as Top Chef and Iron Chef. Check and Check (Also “Hell’s Kitchen” and “Kitchen Nightmares”)
  • Have specialized cookbooks. Check
  • Read specialized periodicals like Cook’s Illustrated. Check
  • Seek out fresh produce from the farmers’ market. I’m growing my own vegetable garden. So check

Looks like I might actually be a bona fide foodie! I’m not so hard core as to photograph and post on the Internet every meal I ever make or consume, as Wikipedia states that some foodies do. Aren’t you glad?

You know what this means? I think this is the first cultural “club” that I’ve ever been a member of! Never was a yuppie. Nor a preppy. Nothing. Might have been a dork, but that’s not a club. :-p

Well, it looks like perhaps I found a comfortable space in life to settle into!