Friday, January 2, 2009

Not Really an Update

Just so you know, I'm still in a holding pattern. I sure am getting tired of flying in a big circle! I've been doing that since Friday December 19th now. That's the day that my oncologist called me to tell me that the liver biopsy was positive. She told me that she was referring me to a liver surgeon at Stanford and also requesting a 2nd opinion from the Stanford Liver Tumor Board. She said that if I didn't hear from someone by Monday the 22nd to call a number that she gave me. When Monday rolled around I hadn't heard from Stanford but I didn't know what I was supposed to call for. What, get someone on the phone and say: "My oncologist told me to call but I don't know whom I am supposed to ask for, what I'm supposed to ask for or say"? So, I called my oncologist's office back and spoke with someone at the front desk. She said that Stanford would take a couple of days but if I haven't heard from them by Wednesday the 24th to call her back. So, when Wednesday rolled around I called her back. At that time she gave me another phone number for Stanford and the name of the person to ask for (Laura) who is a new patient coordinator. So, I called Laura and told her that I wasn't sure why I was calling but I was told to call her. She told me that she still hadn't received the request letter and the copy of my records that she requested last Friday, on the 19th. So, I called the person at the oncologist's office AGAIN and told her that Laura was still waiting for my records. I waited until the following Monday to call Laura and she told me that she did get the records (finally) - on Friday the 26th. Tuesday she called me again to tell me that the nurse that has to review my chart was out of the office until Tuesday, January 6th. So, the first chance now that someone will even review my chart to make a plan of action for me is a full 2 & 1/2 weeks after I got the call from my oncologist that the biopsy was positive, and that she wanted to act on it right away. At this point I don't even know if she is aware of the delays. And that's one of the things that has me frustrated. I don't think she is paying very close attention and allowed this to slip through a very large crack.

***Ringing phone***

We just now hung up with Laura and she told me that we'd probably be on the appointment calendar for the Tumor Board on January the 13th. Of course the nurse has to review the chart and make that determination, but if she does say that I am eligible for the Tumor Board consultation then I'd go in on the 13th.

I am actually very strongly considering transferring my oncology treatments up to Stanford Cancer Center. After all, I am fortunate enough to live (relatively) near a top-notch state-of-the-art Cancer Care Center and I may as well take advantage of that fact.